California’s 2014 highly controversial law, AB1775, requires psychotherapists, counselors and other mental health professionals to report if a patient has knowingly downloaded, streamed, or even simply accessed (that is, viewed) an electronic or digital image in which anyone under 18 “is engaged in an act of obscene sexual conduct.” That’s any image that lacks “scientific, literary, artistic, or political” value.
Critique and Important Concerns about AB-1775
- AB1775 New Law Undermines Therapy by Dr. Marty Klein
- Wake Up California Therapists!
- A Child Abuse Law That Won’t Work
- Clinical Alert: Where Do You Stand Regarding Imminent Changes to Client Confidentiality (AB1775)?
- The Death of Therapeutic Confidentiality