To pay for this Webinar Please Visit:
Contact person: Alan Modarressi, PHD: firstname.lastname@example.org. To become a member, please call: Dr. Peyman Raoofi at: (310) 463-9661
For CE credits “Should attend the entire presentation and follow the instructions that will be given at the meeting”
So, Please, be early and sign up
Ethical-Moral Junction in Psychotherapy and Mental Health Services
Sunday February 11, 2024
Sign In: 9:30 AM
9:30 to 10:15 Introductions & Networking
10:15 AM to 12:15 PM Presentation
Ofer Zur, Ph.D.
Please, join us for two hours of live webinar continuing education class on Law & Ethics. Dr. Zur presents on following important questions:
- Is it Ethical or Moral to bring about…
- Clients’ deaths in the ‘next’ battle?
- Execution of death-row inmates?
- Torture of ‘war’ prisoners?
- Racially based pathological diagnoses?
- Denial of civil liberties for sex offenders?
- Deportation of immigrants from US?
- Denial of lifesaving organ transplants to ‘receivers’?
- Increased prisoners’ risk for abuse or death?
- Increased probability of patients’ suicides?
- Denying peoples· wish for ‘End of Life’ option?
- Denying help for women patients seeking abortions?
The Learning Objectives are that by attending this class participants will be able to:
- Describe the importance of context as it applies to the standard of care
- Identify 3 moral junctions that therapists may face in their line of work
- Define at least 2 competing concerns that therapists may face when deciding to recommend involuntary hospitalization for suicidal clients
- Discuss ethical concerns in regard to diagnosing African American clients
Ofer Zur, Ph.D. is a licensed psychologist, instructor as well as forensic expert witness and ethics consultant. He was the founder of Zur Institute, back in 2000, an online continuing education platform for mental health professionals. He authored and co-authored 5 books, including “Boundaries in Psychotherapy” (Published by APA) and “Multiple Relationships in Psychotherapy and Counseling: Unavoidable, Common, and Mandatory Dual Relations in Therapy” and published over 100 articles on ethics and related topics. He has been teaching in the U.S. and abroad on topics related to ethics, critical thinking, therapeutic boundaries, the psychology of victims, gender and war. Dr. Zur is am APA Div 42 fellow and in 2021 he received authorization from the Minnesota Supreme Court to prepare an amicus brief regarding the standard of care for psychotherapy and counseling.
2.00 Hours of Continuing Education Credit*
Psychologists: IPAA is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education programs for psychologists. IPAA maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
MFTs and LCSWs: IPAA’s APA sponsored programs are approved by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
The Iranian Psychological Association of America (IPAA) General Disclaimer Notice:
The opinions and views expressed by the Iranian Psychological Association of America (IPAA)’s members, affiliates, associates, or presenters, in general and/or during IPAA’s sponsored events, are their sole and separate views and opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of the IPAA’s, nor does the IPAA adopt such opinions or views as its own. IPAA disclaims and does not assume any responsibility or liability with respect to such opinions, views, and statements of its members, affiliates, associates, guests, and presenters. IPAA further disclaims any responsibility or liability with respect to any actions, qualifications, and representations of its members, affiliates, presenters, or subscriber in general or in connection with the application of any information and/or recommendations made by the IPAA, its boards and committees, or through IPAA’s publications, resources, activities, and events thereof.
IPAA Endorsement Disclaimer
Links to other websites are provided for the convenience of users. The IPAA is unable to provide any warranty regarding the accuracy or completeness of the content of such sites, or the reliability, quality, or effectiveness of any services and/or products provided through these websites. A link to an external website does not imply an endorsement of the views, information, services, and products provided or held by that website.